In their first year of training, all child and/or adolescent candidates take:
- A yearlong course in Child Analytic Theory and Technique
- One semester of Adolescent Theory and Technique
- One semester of Childhood Psychopathology
In addition, candidates participate for a minimum of two years but preferably throughout their child and/or adolescent candidacy in an ongoing continuous case conference.
Location and Schedule
- These curricular requirements are conducted on Thursday evenings (7–8:30 and 8:30–10 p.m.) at the New York Psychoanalytic Institute, 247 East 82 Street.
- The child candidates may also choose child-related electives during regular elective time. Electives are held on Mondays, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Columbia Psychoanalytic Center.
- Finally, child candidates will attend several evening dinner meetings over the course of the year devoted to case finding and practice building.
Currently enrolled candidates, externs, visiting scholars, and teaching faculty may access all course syllabi, readings, study guides, and lectures via CourseWorks.
Adult candidates may begin the child curriculum at any time during adult training with permission of the head of the Division. Those adult candidates not seeking full child analytic training but interested in learning about the field may take one or more courses in the child and adolescent curriculum as year-long electives in the fourth and fifth year.