Stewart L Adelson, MD
Dr. Adelson is an adult, child and adolescent psychiatrist who has been a faculty member of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons since 1995, and is a 2014-15 Clinical Research Scholar in the Global Health Division at Harvard Medical School. His professional interests include psychotherapy and care for underserved youth, including LGBT youth and adults. He is also a faculty member of the Fenway Institute's National LGBT Health Education Center (an affiliate of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School), and an adjunct faculty member of the Cornell University medical school. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, and has been a recipient of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry's Presidential Scholar Award, the Dennis Anderson award of the Lesbian and Gay Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Association, and the Yale University Saybrook College Master's Prize. At Columbia, he serves as Chair of the Advisory Council of the Initiative for LGBT Health in the Division of Gender, Sexuality and Health. Dr. Adelson is the principal author of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry's guidelines on care for LGBT youth. He is also the lead author on peer-reviewed papers and chapters on sexual and gender development, psychotherapy, prevention of mental illness, and access to care for under-served children and adolescents. He has served as a reviewer or editorial board member of several academic presses and professional journals, including Oxford University Press, the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, the International Journal of Transgenderism, and Psychodynamic Psychiatry.
Dr. Adelson has taught physicians-in-training in adult, child and adolescent psychiatry at Columbia and Cornell since 1995, and has lectured regularly in grand rounds and courses at Columbia and Yale, and presented symposia, workshops and webinars through the Fenway Institute and at national and international conferences of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the World Psychiatric Association, the World Professional Association of Transgender Health, the American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training Programs, and the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry. He is also a member of the Group for Advancement of Psychiatry, and of the Advisory Committee of the international LGBT program of Human Rights Watch."
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Adult Psychiatry
- Psychodynamic Psychiatrics
- Sexual Development Disorders
- Sexual Orientation Issues
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, New York University School of Medicine
- 1988 New York University School of Medicine
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowship: New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Dr. Adelson is involved in research on the effectiveness of community-based health promotion programs for at-risk children. He has served as principal investigator and faculty advisor in a research study of the effectiveness of a community-based mental health promotion program designed for at-risk children intended to protect them from the deleterious mental health effects of stress.
He has chaired the Outcome Measures Committee of Caring at Columbia, a unit within the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry that develops and administers community-based mental health promotion programs for at-risk children involving the arts.
- Adelson, SL, and Schuster, MA: "Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Adolescents." In: RM Kliegman, BF Stanton, J St. Geme & N Schor, (Eds.), Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 20th Edition, Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, In Press
- Adelson, SL and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) Committee on Quality Issues (CQI): Walter, HJ, Bukstein, OG, Bellonci, C, Benson, RS, Chrisman, A, Farchione, TR, Hamilton, J, Keable, H, Kinlan, J, Quiterio, N, Schoettle, U,: Practice Parameter on Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual Sexual Orientation, Gender-Nonconformity, and Gender Discordance in Children and Adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adol Psychiatry 2012;51(9): 957-974
- Adelson SL, Bell R, Haase E, Goldenberg D, Graff A, Downey JI, Friedman RC: Towards a Definition of "Hypersexuality" in Children and Adolescents. Publication of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, Committee on Human Sexuality.. Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2012;40(3): 481-504
- Adelson SL: Development of AACAP practice parameters for gender nonconformity and gender discordance in children and adolescents. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America 2011;20 (4): 651-663
- Adelson SL, Bell R, Haase E, Goldenberg D, Graff A, Downey JI, Friedman RC: Is Increased Sexual Behavior a Symptom of Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents? Publication of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, Committee on Human Sexuality. Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2013;41: In Press