Stewart L Adelson, MD
Stewart Adelson, M.D. is an adult, child, and adolescent psychiatrist. He is a Clinical Associate Professor Cornell and Adjunct [Associate/Assistant] Clinical Professor at Columbia medical schools. He has expertise in general psychiatry, psychotherapy, sexuality and gender, public psychiatry, and clinical research. He has taught patient evaluation and treatment to residents and fellows at Columbia and Cornell since 1995. He is lead author of peer-reviewed papers, chapters, and volumes on a variety of topics including evidence-based practice guidelines, psychodynamic theory and treatment, and sexual and gender development, including the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)'s Practice Parameter for LGBT youth. He has provided care to a wide variety of adults and youth, both as Medical Director in New York Presbyterian Hospital and community-based mental health programs for children and adolescents experiencing homelessness, abuse, neglect, foster care, adoption, and HIV/AIDS as well as private practice in Manhattan.
Dr. Adelson is also a Senior Visiting Fellow at Yale Law School, where he is Founding Director of the Youth Equity Science/YES Project of Yale Law and Public Health Schools’ Global Health Justice Partnership. YES promotes LGBT youth mental health in the U.S. and internationally by applying public health science in the service of human rights principles to amend mental health disparities. He is recipient of the AACAP's Presidential Scholar Award, Rieger Service Award for Program Excellence, NYCCAP’s Hulse Award, PrideCAPA’s Dennis Anderson Award, and a Commendation from the Harvard Medical School Global Clinical Scholars Research Training Program. He has served as a Lead Guest Editor for Pediatric Clinics of North America, on editorial boards of peer-reviewed journals, and as reviewer for the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Oxford University Press and others. He is a member of the Group for Advancement of Psychiatry, the American College of Psychiatrists, and the Advisory Committee of the global LGBT Divisions of Human Rights Watch.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Adult Psychiatry
- Sexual Development Disorders
- Sexual Orientation Issues
- Adjunct Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Connect Patient Portal
For existing patients, login to make an appointment, view documentation or contact your care provider.
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, New York University School of Medicine
- 1988 New York University School of Medicine
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowship: New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Dr. Adelson is involved in research on the effectiveness of community-based health promotion programs for at-risk children. He has served as principal investigator and faculty advisor in a research study of the effectiveness of a community-based mental health promotion program designed for at-risk children intended to protect them from the deleterious mental health effects of stress.
He has chaired the Outcome Measures Committee of Caring at Columbia, a unit within the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry that develops and administers community-based mental health promotion programs for at-risk children involving the arts.
- Adelson, SL, and Schuster, MA: "Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Adolescents." In: RM Kliegman, BF Stanton, J St. Geme & N Schor, (Eds.), Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 20th Edition, Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, In Press
- Adelson, SL and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) Committee on Quality Issues (CQI): Walter, HJ, Bukstein, OG, Bellonci, C, Benson, RS, Chrisman, A, Farchione, TR, Hamilton, J, Keable, H, Kinlan, J, Quiterio, N, Schoettle, U,: Practice Parameter on Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual Sexual Orientation, Gender-Nonconformity, and Gender Discordance in Children and Adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adol Psychiatry 2012;51(9): 957-974
- Adelson SL, Bell R, Haase E, Goldenberg D, Graff A, Downey JI, Friedman RC: Towards a Definition of "Hypersexuality" in Children and Adolescents. Publication of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, Committee on Human Sexuality.. Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2012;40(3): 481-504
- Adelson SL: Development of AACAP practice parameters for gender nonconformity and gender discordance in children and adolescents. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America 2011;20 (4): 651-663
- Adelson SL, Bell R, Haase E, Goldenberg D, Graff A, Downey JI, Friedman RC: Is Increased Sexual Behavior a Symptom of Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents? Publication of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, Committee on Human Sexuality. Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2013;41: In Press