Stewart Adelson, M.D. is an adult, child, and adolescent psychiatrist. He is a Clinical Associate Professor at Weill Cornell Medical College, an Adjunct Associate Clinical Professor at Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, and a Senior Visiting Fellow at Yale Law School. He has provided clinical care to both adults and youth since 1998, and has served as Medical Director in New York Presbyterian Hospital and community-based mental health programs for children and adolescents experiencing homelessness, abuse, neglect, foster care, adoption, and medical illness.
Dr. Adelson has supervised and created curricula for physicians in training since 1995, and has served as lead author of practice guidelines of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). He is also the Founding Director of the Youth Equity Science/YES Project of Yale Law and Public Health Schools, a collaboration of youth mental health researchers and legal scholars to support policy and law that support LGBTQ youth mental health. He has received awards including AACAP’s 2021 Norbert & Charlotte Rieger Service Award for Program Excellence for the YES Project as an innovative program that addresses prevention of mental illnesses in children and adolescents and serves as model program; the NY Council on Child & Adolescent Psychiatry’s 2022 Wilfred C. Hulse Award for outstanding contributions to the field of child and adolescent psychiatry; and a 2015 Commendation from the Harvard Medical School Global Clinical Scholars Research Training Program, of which he was valedictorian among 200 peers from 67 countries.
He is the author and editor of peer-reviewed papers, chapters and volumes on topics including sexual and gender development, psychodynamic psychiatry and sexuality, and Health Justice collaboration between mental health science and human rights to improve youth mental health. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He has served as a Lead Guest Editor for Pediatric Clinics of North America, as well as a reviewer for Oxford University Press, Pediatrics, and other journals. He is a member of the Group for Advancement of Psychiatry (GAP), the American College of Psychiatrists, and the Advisory Committee of the Global LGBT Rights Division of Human Rights Watch.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Adult Psychiatry
- Sexual Development Disorders
- Sexual Orientation Issues
- Adjunct Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, New York University School of Medicine
- 1988 New York University School of Medicine
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowship: New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Dr. Adelson is involved in research on the effectiveness of community-based health promotion programs for at-risk children. He has served as principal investigator and faculty advisor in a research study of the effectiveness of a community-based mental health promotion program designed for at-risk children intended to protect them from the deleterious mental health effects of stress.
He has chaired the Outcome Measures Committee of Caring at Columbia, a unit within the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry that develops and administers community-based mental health promotion programs for at-risk children involving the arts.
- Adelson, SL, and Schuster, MA: "Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Adolescents." In: RM Kliegman, BF Stanton, J St. Geme & N Schor, (Eds.), Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 20th Edition, Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, In Press
- Adelson, SL and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) Committee on Quality Issues (CQI): Walter, HJ, Bukstein, OG, Bellonci, C, Benson, RS, Chrisman, A, Farchione, TR, Hamilton, J, Keable, H, Kinlan, J, Quiterio, N, Schoettle, U,: Practice Parameter on Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual Sexual Orientation, Gender-Nonconformity, and Gender Discordance in Children and Adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adol Psychiatry 2012;51(9): 957-974
- Adelson SL, Bell R, Haase E, Goldenberg D, Graff A, Downey JI, Friedman RC: Towards a Definition of "Hypersexuality" in Children and Adolescents. Publication of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, Committee on Human Sexuality.. Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2012;40(3): 481-504
- Adelson SL: Development of AACAP practice parameters for gender nonconformity and gender discordance in children and adolescents. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America 2011;20 (4): 651-663
- Adelson SL, Bell R, Haase E, Goldenberg D, Graff A, Downey JI, Friedman RC: Is Increased Sexual Behavior a Symptom of Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents? Publication of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, Committee on Human Sexuality. Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2013;41: In Press