Mary Bongiovi, MD, PhD
Mary E. Bongiovi MD PhD is an associate professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University and director of Four Center, a clinical research unit at the New York State Psychiatric Institute in New York City.
Four Center is a 12 bed research unit that serves the divisions of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Clinical Therapeutics and specializes in the research and treatment of eating disorders in adolescents and adults and mood and anxiety disorders in adolescents. The unit's mission is to deliver excellent patient care, to pursue state of the art clinical research, and to educate psychiatric residents and medical, nursing, psychology, social work, and recreational therapy students.
Dr. Bongiovi earned her undergraduate degree in biology with a minor in chemistry from Barnard College of Columbia University in 1981. She then received a combined medical and doctoral degree from The College of Physicians and Surgeon of Columbia University in 1990. She entered residency training at the Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute program that she completed in 1994 after having served as chief resident.
Dr. Bongiovi was an attending on the inpatient unit of the Washington Heights Community Service at the New York State Psychiatric Institute rising to the ranks of associate unit chief before accepting her current position as director of Four Center in 1999.
Dr. Bongiovi is a dedicated clinician, educator and administrator. She is currently the President of the Medical Staff at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, is involved in medical student and residency training and serves on multiple committees at NYSPI and on the Faculty of Medicine committee at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons along with her responsibilities of managing an inpatient research unit.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Research Studies
- Associate Clinical Professor
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency: 1994 NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Patricio Molero, Michael Grunebaum, Hanga Galfalvy, Mary E. Bongiovi, David Lowenthal, M. Goretti Almeida, Ainsley K. Burke, Ellen Stevenson, J. John Mann, Maria A. Oquendo: Past Suicide Attempts in Depressed Inpatients: Clinical versus Research Assessment. Archives of Suicide Research 2014 ;18: 50-57
- Mary E. Bongiovi-Garcia, Jessica Merville, M. Goretti Almeida, Ainsley Burke, Steven Ellis, Barbara H. Stanley, Kelly Posner, J. John Mann, Maria Oquendo: Comparison of clinical and research assessments of diagnosis, suicide attempt history and suicidal ideation in major depression. Journal of Affective Disorders 2009;115: 183-188
- Oquendo, MA, Bongiovi-Garcia, ME, Galfalvy, H, Goldberg, P, Grunebaum, MF, Burke, A and Mann, JJ: Sex Differences in Clinical Predictors of Suicidal Acts after Major Depression: A Prospective Study. Journal of the American Psychiatric Association 2007;164: 134-141