Laurence Chan, PhD
Laurence Chan, Ph.D., is a licensed clinical psychologist located at Columbia Doctors Midtown. He serves on the faculty as an Instructor of Medical Psychology (In Psychiatry). Dr. Chan provides services for individuals with substance use and co-occurring mental health conditions.
Dr. Chan received his doctorate in Counseling Psychology at the University of Iowa. He completed his internship at the Atlanta VA Health Care System and his postdoctoral residency at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. He has treated adults presenting with mood disorders, substance use disorders, trauma, and relationship concerns. Dr. Chan utilizes cognitive behavioral, dialectical behavioral, psychodynamic, and motivational interviewing approaches in his work. He has provided therapy in various clinical settings including outpatient, inpatient, college counseling, community mental health, and supportive housing.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Alcohol Use Disorders
- Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Group Therapy
- Opioid Use Disorders
- Substance Abuse Disorders
- Instructor in Medical Psychology (in Psychiatry)
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Virtual Visits allow you to connect with your provider from the comfort, convenience, and safety of your own home.
Connect Patient Portal
For existing patients, login to make an appointment, view documentation or contact your care provider.
- Aetna Signature Administrators
- NYP Employee Plan
- NY Signature
- Student Health
CHP Student Health
Quality Health Management
- Quality Health Management
- Behavioral Health (Columbia University Employee Plan)
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- University of Iowa
- Internship: Atlanta VA Health Care System
- Residency: Atlanta VA Health Care System
- Fellowship: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation