John C. Markowitz, MD
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Dr. Markowitz conducts comparative treatment research, studying the benefits of psychotherapies and medications for people with depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and personality disorders. Dr. Markowitz has expertise in delivering many of these treatments, particlulary psychotherapies such as Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) for depression and PTSD.
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- 1982 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: 1983 New York Hospital
- Residency: 1986 NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
We are currently conducting research on psychotherapy for PTSD, depressed spouses of returning veterans, and depressed HIV-positive patients. We are completing a five year randomized controlled trial, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, to evaluate the relative efficacy and mechanisms of three different kinds of psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD): interpersonal psychotherapy, prolonged exposure, and relaxation therapy.
We are also conducting an open trial of interpersonal psychotherapy, a treatment with demonstrated benefit in treating major depression, for depressed spouses of veterans returning from Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Markowitz JC, Weissman MM (Editors: Casebook of Interpersonal Psychotherapy, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2012
- Markowitz JC, Milrod BL: The importance of responding to negative affect in psychotherapies. American Journal of Psychiatry 2011;168: 124-128
- Markowitz JC, Milrod B, Bleiberg KL, Marshall RD: : Interpersonal factors in understanding and treating posttraumatic stress disorder. Journal of Psychiatric Practice 2009;15: 133-140
- Weissman MM, Markowitz JC, Klerman GL: Clinician's Quick Guide to Interpersonal Psychotherapy, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2007
- Markowitz JC: IPT and PTSD. Depression and Anxiety 2010;27: 879-881