Denise Leung, MD
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC
- Program Medical Director, MSCH Community and Acute Outpatient Psychiatry Services, Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health
- Medical Director of Quality, Department of Psychiatry, NYPH-CUIMC
Dr. Leung is a board-certified Child, Adolescent, and Adult Psychiatrist and an Assistant Professor in Psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Leung specializes in the evaluation and treatment of children, adolescents, adults and their families using psychotherapeutic and psychopharmacological techniques. She has a particular expertise in the evaluation and treatment of children and families who are affected by chronic medical and psychiatric conditions. Her other areas of interest and expertise include: mood and anxiety disorders, transitions between life stages, and childhood and adult ADHD. She believes in a collaborative approach with patients and their families to achieve their treatment goals.
Dr. Leung joined the Columbia University faculty in 2007 and currently serves as the Program Medical Director for the Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital Outpatient Child and Adolescent Pediatric Psychiatry Service (Community Services) at Columbia University Medical Center. In this capacity, she evaluates and treats children and adolescents with a particular expertise in ADHD, and mood and anxiety disorders. She also formerly served as the Program Medical Director at New York Presbyterian Hospital’s Special Needs Clinic, which specializes in the treatment of individuals and families who are experiencing symptoms from both medical and psychiatric conditions.
Dr. Leung earned her medical degree from the McMaster University School of Medicine (Hamilton, Canada). She completed her general psychiatry residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore, MD) and her Child and Adolescent fellowship at the New York Presbyterian Hospital of Columbia and Cornell Universities. During her second year of child psychiatry training, she was selected to be the Chief Fellow for the Consultation Liaison Service at CUMC. She also completed her Public Psychiatry Fellowship at Columbia University.
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Schedule an Appointment
- NYP Employee Plan
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- McGill University Faculty of Medicine (Canada)
- McMaster University, Faculty of Medicine (Canada)
- Residency: Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Cornell and Columbia
- Fellowship: Columbia University
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Grados MA, Leung D, Ahmed K, Aneja A. 2005. Obsessive-compulsive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder: a common diagnostic dilemma. Primary Psychiatry, 2(3): 40-46
- Leung D. 2013. Book Forum: Professionalism in Psychiatry. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 52(12): 880-881