David A. Straker, DO
- Adjunct Assistant Professor
Dr. Straker is in private practice on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. He is an Attending Psychiatrist at Columbia University Medical Center - NY Presbyterian Hospital, Lenox Hill Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center and North Shore University Hospital. He is also on staff at White Plains Hospital where he works in the Emergency Room and is a Consultation-Liaison Psychiatrist.
He was the Director of the Psychosomatic Medicine Fellowship at Long Island Jewish Medical Center and North Shore University Hospital from 2008-2014. He was a Chief Resident for two years at The Zucker Hillside Hospital of the Long Island Jewish Medical Center prior to coming to Columbia University Medical Center for a Fellowship in Psychosomatic Medicine which he completed in 2005.
He is a Fellow of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine (FAPM) and a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (FAPA). He has spoken and presented at many conferences including the Annual Meetings of the American Psychiatric Association and The Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine. He completed three years of Psychoanalytic Training at NYU Psychoanalytic Institute. He enjoys teaching residents, fellows, and medical students.
Awards and honors he has received include: the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine: William Webb Fellowship Award, the LIJMC Outstanding Psychiatry Resident of the Year Award, the Best Paper by a Psychiatry Resident Award, the Society for Liaison Psychiatry: Best Trainee Paper Award, the Long Island Jewish Medical Center Academic Competition First Prize, the Janssen Psychiatry Resident Award of Excellence, and the Medical Student Excellence in Psychiatry Award.
Dr. Straker feels that the use of both psychopharmacologic and psychotherapeutic modalities are crucial in the treatment of mental illness.
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Residency: Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Psychosomatic Medicine
- Straker D, Hyler, S: Factitious Disorders and Malingeering. Psychosomatic Medicine in the 21st Century. Edited by Blumenfield, M and Strain, J, J. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2006
- Straker D, Muskin P, and Shapiro P: Aripiprazole in the Treatment of Delirium. Psychosomatics 2006
- Straker D, Correll C, , Kramer-Ginsberg E, Saint-Vil R, Koshy F, Abdulhamid N, Rubens E, Kane J, Manu P: Cost-Effective Screening for Metabolic Syndrome in Patients Treated with Second-Generation Antipsychotics. American Journal of Psychiatry June 2005;162:1217-1221
- Straker D: C-L Psychiatry’s Impact Overlooked. Psychiatric News 2003 2002;37 (18): 27
- Straker D, Mendelowitz A, Karlin L: Near Fatal Ketoacidosis with Olanzapine Treatment. Psychosomatics 2002;43 (4): 339-340