Anat Brunstein-Klomek, PhD
Anat Brunstein Klomek, PhD, is a clinical psychologist and an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute (NYSPI). Dr. Brunstein Klomek is an Associate Professor in the School of Psychology at the Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliya, Israel. Her areas of expertise include depression, suicidality, learning disorders, eating disorders, and bullying behaviors among adolescents.
Dr. Klomek graduated from Ben Gurion University in Israel with a BA in behavioral sciences. She received her MA and PhD in child clinical psychology from Bar-Ilan University in Israel. She completed a postdoctoral research fellowship in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Columbia University.
Dr. Klomek is the author of articles and book chapters on bullying, depression, suicidality, and psychotherapy among adolescents. Since 2007, she has been the assistant editor of Archives of Suicide Research and is a reviewer for many journals.
In the last several years, Dr. Brunstein Klomek has been the research director of the inpatient unit at Schneider Children’s Medical Center of Israel and an academic consultant to the suicide prevention plan of the Israeli Ministry of Education. She has recently joined the Suicide Prevention: Training, Implementation, and Evaluation Program (SP-TIE) at the Center for Practice Innovations at NYSPI and the Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University as part of the New York State suicide prevention plan.
- Adjunct Associate Research Scientist
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MA, Child Clinical Psychology, Bar-Ilan University (Israel)
- PhD, Child Clinical Psychology, Bar-Ilan University (Israel)
- BA, Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, Ben Gurion University of the Negev
- Fellowship: Columbia/ New York Psychiatric Inst
Dr. Klomek is involved in studies examining the association between bullying and psychopathology/suicidality among adolescents. These included both cross-sectional and longitudinal studies. Dr. Klomek is currently leading a feasibility study of interpersonal psychotherapy in adolescents diagnosed with specific learning disorders (SLD) and/or attention-deficit/hyperactive disorder (ADHD) with depression and anxiety symptoms (IPT-ALD).
- Child and Adolescent Psychopathology
- Brunstein Klomek, A., Kopelman-Rubin, D., Apter, A., Argintaru, H., & Mufson, L. (in press). A pilot feasibility study of interpersonal psychotherapy in adolescents diagnosed with LD and/or attention-deficit/hyperactive disorder (ADHD) with depression and anxiety symptoms (IPT-ALD). Journal of Psychotherapy Integration.
- Brunstein Klomek, A., Snir, A., Apter, A., Carli, V., Wasserman, C., Hadlaczky, G., … Wasserman, D. (2016). Association between victimization by bullying and direct self-injurious behavior among adolescence in Europe: A 10-country study. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 25(11), 1183-1193.
- Brunstein Klomek, A., Sourander, A., & Elonheimo., H. (2015). Childhood bullying and adulthood outcomes. Lancet Psychiatry, 2, 930-941.
- Brunstein Klomek, A., Lev-Wiesel, R., Shellac, E., Hadas, A., Berger, U., Horwitz, M., & Fennig. S. (2015). The relationship between self-injurious behaviors and self- disclosure in adolescents with eating disorders. Eating and Weight Disorders: Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia, and Obesity, 20(1), 43-48.
- Hamburger, Y., Brunstein Klomek, A., Friedman, D., Zuckerman, O., Shani-Sherman, T. (2014). The future of online therapy. Computers in Human Behavior, 41, 288-294.
- Sourander, A., Brunstein Klomek, A., Ikonen, M., Lindroos, J., Luntamo, T., Koskelainen, M., Ristkari, T., & Helenius H. (2010). Psychosocial risk factors associated with cyberbullying among adolescents: A population-based study. Archives of General Psychiatry, 67(7), 720-728.
- Brunstein Klomek, A., Sourander, A., NiemelÃ¤, S., Kumpulainen, K., Piha, J., Tamminen, T., Almqvist, F., & Gould, M.S. (2009). Childhood bullying behaviors as a risk for severe suicide attempts and completed suicides: A population-based birth cohort study. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 48(3), 254-261.
- Brunstein Klomek, A., & Stanley, B. (2007). Psychosocial treatment of depression and suicidality in adolescents. CNS Spectrums, 12(2), 135-144.
- Brunstein Klomek, A., Marrocco, F., Kleinman, M., Schonfeld, I., & Gould, S.M. (2007). Bullying, depression, and suicidality in adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 46(1), 40-49.