Patrick J. Brown, PhD
Patrick J. Brown, PH.D. is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology in Psychiatry at the College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University, and a Research Scientist at the New York State Psychiatric Institute in the Division of Geriatric Psychiatry. Dr. BrownÃ¯Â¿Â½s research focuses on the assessment and treatment of functional impairment in adults with depressive illness. He was awarded a Junior Investigator Award by the National AlzheimerÃ¯Â¿Â½s Coordinating Center for his research on functional impairment in cognitively impaired elders. His research has been funded by the National Institute of Aging and the National Institute of Mental Health. Dr. Brown is currently conducting research on the phenomenology and antidepressant treatment of frail, depressed older adults in the Adult and Late Life Depression Clinic at the New York State Psychiatric Institute.
Dr. Brown received his undergraduate degree from the College of the Holy Cross, and his doctoral degree from Washington University in St. Louis. He completed his pre-doctoral internship training at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, NY, and a National Institute of Mental Health postdoctoral research fellowship in Late Life Neuropsychiatric Disorders at Columbia University. Dr. Brown is a NY State licensed clinical psychologist and practices empirically supported treatments, primarily cognitive behavioral therapy for the treatment of both depressive and anxiety disorders in adults.
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology (in Psychiatry)
- Affective Disorders
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Neuropsychiatric Disorders of Late Life
- Brown, P.J., Fieo, R., Roose, S.P., Liu, X., Sneed, J.R., Rutherford, B.R., Devanand, D.P., Avlund, K.: Frailty and depression in older adults: A high-risk clinical population. Amer J of Geri Psychiatry In Press
- Brown, P.J., Rutherford, B.R., Roose, S.P.: The Difficult Choices We Must Make When Studying Complex Patients. Guest Editorial.. Amer J of Geri Psychiatry 2013;21: 1049-1051
- Brown, P.J., Liu, X., Devanand, D.P., Sneed, J.R., Roose, S.P. : Speed of processing mediates the relationship between depression and impaired function in older adults with mild cognitive impairment.. Amer J of Geri Psychiatry 2013;21: 675-684
- Brown, P.J., Devanand, D.P., Liu, X., Caccappolo, E., and the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative: Characteristics and correlates of functional impairment in the elderly with mild cognitive impairment and mild Alzheimer's disease. . Archives of General Psychiatry 2011;68: 617-626
- Brown, P.J., Woods, C., & Storandt, M. : Model stability of the 15-Item Geriatric Depression Scale across cognitive impairment and severe depression.. Psychology and Aging 2007;22: 372-379