M. Elizabeth Sublette, MD, PhD
M. Elizabeth Sublette received her MD/PhD from SUNY Downstate. She completed a psychiatry residency at the Zucker Hillside Hospital, North Shore - Long Island Jewish Medical Center and served as Chief of the Affective Disorders inpatient unit at Zucker Hillside Hospital before coming to Columbia University
Dr. Sublette joined the faculty in 2007 and is an Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and a Research Scientist at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, in the Division of Molecular Imaging and Neuropathology, where she serves as the Director of the MIND Research Clinic.
Dr. Sublette's research focuses on the neurobiology of mood disorders and suicide risk. In particular, she has concentrated on understanding the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on brain and mood. Her research has been funded by NARSAD, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH).
- Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Role of essential dietary fatty acids in the neurobiology of mood disorders and suicide risk
Dr. Sublette's previous studies have found links between low omega-3 fatty acids and risk of later suicide attempt; and between omega-3 blood levels and specific patterns of regional brain glucose uptake. Using positron emission tomography (PET scanning), biochemical analysis, and clinical assessment, the current research projects are expected to shed light on how human nutrition may directly affect the brain and ultimately influence mood.
- Mood Disorders
- Role of essential dietary fatty acids in the neurobiology of mood disorders and suicide risk
- Gopaldas M, Zanderigo F, Zhan S, Ogden RT, Miller JM, Rubin-Falcone H, Cooper TB, Oquendo MA, Sullivan G, Mann JJ, Sublette ME: Brain serotonin transporter binding, plasma arachidonic acid and depression severity: A positron emission tomography study of major depression. Journal of Affective Disorders 2019;257:495-503. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2019.07.035 PMID: 31319341
- Zanderigo F, Kang Y, Kumar D, Nikolopoulou A, Mozley PD, Kothari PJ, He B, Schlyer D, Rapoport SI, Oquendo MA, Vallabhajosula S, Mann JJ, Sublette ME: [11C]arachidonic acid incorporation measurement in human brain: Optimization for clinical use. Synapse 2018;72(2). doi: 10.1002/syn.22018. PMCID: PMC6075823.
- Cheung, S.G., Goldenthal, A.R., Uhlemann, A.-C., Mann, J.J., Miller, J.M., Sublette, M.E.: Systematic review of gut microbiota and major depression. Frontiers in Psychiatry: Mood and Anxiety Disorders (2019) 10(34):1-17. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00034. eCollection 2019. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6378305.
- Sublette, M.E., Editorial: Grappling with suicide risk. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2018;93(6):682-683. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2018.04.006. Epub 2018 May 9. PubMed PMID: 29753497.
- Daray, F.M., Mann, J.J., Sublette, M.E.: How lipids may affect risk for suicidal behavior. Journal of Pyschiatric Research 2018;104:16-23. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2018.06.007. PMCID: PMC6102068.