Lisa A. Mellman, MD
Lisa A. Mellman, M.D. is the Samuel Rudin Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC and Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Colorado, her medical degree from Case Western Reserve University and completed her psychiatry residency at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center/New York State Psychiatric Institute where she was Chief Resident. Dr. Mellman completed her psychoanalytic training at the Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research.
A national leader in psychiatric and medical education, Dr. Mellman is Past President of the American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training and chaired task forces and committees on psychiatric education and psychotherapy competency for the American Psychiatric Association and the American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training. She also chaired the Fellowship Program of the American Psychoanalytic Association. She is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. In her former positions directing clinical services and as a residency training director, Dr. Mellman developed new clinical and teaching programs in psychiatry. Her current focus on medical education addresses the learning environment and medical student career development.
Dr. Mellman has received awards for clinical excellence, Teacher of the Year, and for contributions to psychoanalysis. Her publications and presentations are on psychiatric and medical education, psychotherapy training and competencies, workforce, pregnancy of the therapist, cultural competency, and consequences of violence. She treats patients with problems including depression, anxiety, adjustment and relationship prioblems.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Adjustment Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Mental Health
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic Disorder
- Relationship Problems
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Samuel Rudin Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC
- Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs, College of Physicians and Surgeons
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Internship: Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Residency: New York State Psychiatric Institute
Honors & Awards
University of Colorado Regent Scholarship
University of Colorado van Ek Award for Outstanding Senior
Phi Beta Kappa
NY State Psychiatric Institute Horowitz Award for Clinical Excellence
NY State Psychiatric Institute Teacher of the Year
Creedmoor Residency Award for Exemplary Services
American Psychiatric Association Fellow
Master Educator, American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting
American Psychiatric Association Distinguished Fellow
P&S AMWA 2nd Year Mentor Award
Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training George S. Goldman Award
Washington University School of Medicine Alex Kaplan Lecturer
Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute 2006 Alumni Award
New York Academy of Medicine fellow
- Mellman, L. Scientific American: The Consequences of Violence against Women. Microsoft Reader eBook. 2000-2002. www.enovel.com.
- Tinsley J, Mellman L. Patient Reactions to a psychiatrist's pregnancy. American Journal of PSychiatry, 2003, 160 (1): 27-31
- Mellman L, Beresin E. Psychotherapy Competencies: Development and Implementation. Academic Psychiatry. 2003, 27(3): 149-53.
- Mellman L. How Endangered is Psychodynamic Psychotherapy in Residency Education? J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2006 Spring; 34(1): 127-33
- Macaulay W, Mellman LA, Quest DO, et al. The advisory dean program: a personalized approach to academic and career advising for medical students. Academic Medicine. 2007 Jul; 82(7): 718-22.
- Hobnay G, Mellman L, Gabbard GO. Complex Sexualized Transferences When the Patient is Male and the Therapist Female. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2008 Dec; 165 (12): 1525-30.
- Mellman L, Paquette B. Academic and career counseling for medical students and the complex role of the Student Affairs Dean. Academic Psychiatry. 2012; 36(3):169-73.
- Swan A, Mellman L, Balmer D, et al. Revisiting the Advisory Dean Program: Sustaining and Advising and Mentoring Program through Continuous Improvement and Evaluation. Academic Medicine, 2012; 87 (4): 523-8.
- Clemens N, Plakun E, Mellman L. Obstacles to Early Career Psychiatrists Practicing Psychotherapy. Psychodynamic psychiatry, 2014; 42(3): 479-495.