Jack Drescher, MD
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Brooklyn College
- MD, University of Michigan
- Internship: St. Vincent's Medical Center
- Residency: SUNY - Downstate
1. Drescher J: Asses making passes: Making meaning of unwanted sexual advances. Contemporary Psychoanalysis, 2018, 54(4):665-676.
2. Drescher J, Fors M: An appreciation and critique of PDM-2's focus on minority stress through the case of Frank. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 2018, 35(3):357-362.
3. Drescher J: Smoke gets in your eyes: Discussion of “When Harry met Jimmie.” Psychoanalytic Perspectives, 2017, 14(1):31-39.
4. *Reed GM, *Drescher J, Krueger RB, Atalla E, Cochran SD, First MB, Cohen-Kettenis PT, et al. Revising the ICD-10 Mental and Behavioural Disorders classification of sexuality and gender identity based on current scientific evidence, best clinical practices, and human rights considerations. World Psychiatry, 2016, .
5. Drescher J, Schwartz A, Casoy, F, McIntosh CA, Hurley, B, Ashely K, et al: The growing regulation of conversion therapy. Journal of Medical Regulation, 2016, 102(2):7-12. Winner of Federation of State Medical Boards’ Award for Excellence in Editorial Writing, April 26, 2018.
6. *Drescher J, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Reed GM: Gender incongruence of childhood in the ICD-11: Controversies, proposal, and rationale. Lancet Psychiatry, 2016, 3:297-304.
7. Drescher J: Out of DSM: Depathologizing homosexuality. Behavioral Sciences, 2015, 5:565-575.
8. Lingiard V, Nardelli N, Drescher J: New Italian lesbian, gay and bisexual psychotherapy guidelines: A review. International Review of Psychiatry, 2015, 27(5):405-415.
9. Drescher J: Queer diagnoses revisited: International Review of Psychiatry, 2015, 27(5):386-395.
10. Drescher J: Gender policing in the clinical setting: Discussion of Sandra Silverman’s “The Colonized Mind: Gender, Trauma and Mentalization.” Psychoanalytic Dialogues, 2015, 25(1):67-76.
11. Drescher J: Can sexual orientation be changed? Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 2015, 19(1):84-93.
12. *Drescher J, Pula J: Ethical issues raised by the treatment of gender variant prepubescent children. The Hastings Center Report, 2014, 44, Suppl 4:S17-22.
13. Cochran SD, *Drescher J, Kismodi E, Giami A, Garcia-Moreno C, Reed, GM: Proposed declassification of disease categories related to sexual orientation in ICD-11: Rationale and evidence from the Working Group on Sexual Disorders and Sexual Health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 2014, 92:672–679.
14. Drescher J: Are the kids all right? Avuncular reflections on the gayby boom. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 2014, 18(2):222-229.
15. Drescher J: Controversies in gender diagnoses. LGBT Health, 2014, 1(1):9-15.
16. Zucker KJ, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Drescher J, Meyer-Bahlburg HFL, Pfäfflin F, Womack WM: Memo outlining evidence for change for gender identity disorder in the DSM-5. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 2013, 42:901–914.
17. Drescher J: Ghosts in the consulting room: A discussion of Anson’s “Ghosts in the Dressing Room.” Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 2013, 17:112-120.
18. *Drescher J, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Winter S: Minding the body: Situating gender diagnoses in the ICD-11. International Review of Psychiatry, 2012, 24(6): 568–577.
19. *Drescher J, Byne W: Introduction to the treatment of gender dysphoric/gender variant (GD/GV) children and adolescents. Journal of Homosexuality, 2012, 59(3):295-300.
20. *Drescher J, Byne W: Gender Dysphoric/Gender Variant (GD/GV) children and adolescents: Summarizing what we know and what we have yet to learn. Journal of Homosexuality, 2012, 59(3):501-510.
21. Drescher J: The removal of homosexuality from the DSM: Its impact on today’s marriage equality debate. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 2012, 16(2):124-135.
22. Barber M, *Drescher J, Rosario V: The GAP [Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry] online LGBT mental health curriculum. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 2012, 16(1):41-48.
23. Drescher J: Queer diagnoses: Parallels and contrasts in the history of homosexuality, gender variance, and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM). Archives of Sexual Behavior, 2010, 39:427–460.
24. Vance Jr. SR, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Drescher J, Meyer-Bahlburg HFL, Pfäfflin F, Zucker KJ: Opinions about the DSM gender identity disorder diagnosis: Results from an international survey administered to organizations concerned with the welfare of transgender people. International Journal of Transgenderism, 2010, 12:1-14.