Derek Blevins, MD
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
- Research Psychiatrist, New York State Psychiatric Institute
Dr. Blevins is originally from southwestern Virginia. He completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Virginia (UVA) in Charlottesville, where he majored in biology and Spanish. Prior to attending medical school, he worked as a research assistant on NIH-funded clinical trials for medications for alcohol, cocaine, and methamphetamine use disorders at UVA. Dr. Blevins then attended medical school at the American University of the Caribbean in St. Maarten. He returned to UVA where he completed the general psychiatry residency program and served as Chief Resident. He then completed the Columbia University addiction psychiatry clinical fellowship and NIDA-funded T32 substance use disorder research fellowship. His research interests include neuromodulation, particularly rTMS, for substance use disorders and comorbid conditions, including chronic pain, as well as pharmacologic treatments of alcohol, opioid, and stimulant use disorders.
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- BA, Biology & Spanish, University of Virginia
- MD, American University of the Caribbean, School of Medicine (Montserrat)
- Residency: University of Virginia
- Fellowship: Columbia University
Honors & Awards
- National Institute of Health: Loan Repayment Program (2018-2020)
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry: Trainee Representative to the Board (2018-2020)
- UVA Psychiatry: Chief Resident (2016-2017)
- UVA Psychiatry: Residency Peer Commendation Award (2017)
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry: Regional Travel Award Scholarship (2016)
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology: Fellowship for Workshop on Clinical Trials (2016)
- AUC School of Medicine Alpha Omega Phi Honor & Service Society
- Neuromodulation for substance use disorders and comorbid conditions
- Pharmacologic treatments of substance use disorders
- Chronic pain and opioid use disorder
- rTMS of the medial prefrontal and anterior cingulate cortices for chronic pain in methadone-maintained patients, pilot trial (Christopher D. Smithers Foundation)
- March 1 2020 – February 28, 2020
- Research Fellowship in Substance Use Disorders (Federal Gov)
- July 1 2017 – June 30 2020
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP IN SUBSTANCE ABUSE DISORDER (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2018 - Jun 30 2023
- Blevins D, Martinez D. Role for kappa-opioid system in stress-induced cocaine use uncovered with PET. Neuropsychopharmacology: official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020 Jan 1;45(1):233.
- Blevins D, Wang XQ, Sharma S, Ait‐Daoud N. Impulsiveness as a predictor of topiramate response for cocaine use disorder. The American Journal on Addictions. 2019 Feb;28(2):71-6.
- Ait-Daoud N, Blevins D, Khanna S, Sharma S, Holstege CP, Amin P. Women and addiction: an update. Medical Clinics. 2019 Jul 1;103(4):699-711.
- Ait-Daoud N, Hamby AS, Sharma S, Blevins D. A review of alprazolam use, misuse, and withdrawal. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 2018 Jan;12(1):4.