Cristiane Duarte, PhD, MPH
Dr. Cristiane Duarte is a Professor in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Columbia University - New York State Psychiatric Institute. Dr. Duarte's research is based on innovative population-based studies about the development of mental disorders in children, adolescents and young adults. Through the use state-of-the art sampling, recruitment and culturally appropriate assessment methodologies, she has sought to generate knowledge of relevance to diverse, often underserved and understudied populations. Currently, she is a leader of the Boricua Youth Study, the only multi-national source of information about how mental disorders develop from childhood to young adulthood in a Latino subgroup (Puerto Ricans).
Dr. Duarte's work has received support from the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation (formerly NARSAD), the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the US National Institute of Health (NIDA, NIMH, NIAAA and NICHD). She is also a key member in several international collaborations in global mental health focused on how to improve child mental health services and implement interventions in low-resource settings. She has published several articles in psychiatric, psychological, public health, and pediatric journals.
- Ruane Professor for the Implementation of Science for Child and Adolescent mental Health (in Psychiatry) at CUMC
- Co-Director of NewYork-Presbyterian Youth Anxiety Center in Washington Heights
Dr. Duarte's research is based on innovative population-based studies about the development of mental disorders in children, adolescents and young adults. Through the use state-of-the art sampling, recruitment and culturally appropriate assessment methodologies, she has sought to generate knowledge of relevance to diverse, often underserved and understudied populations.
- Cross-cultural measurement of psychiatric disorders
- Mental Health Disparities
- Duarte CS, Bird HR, Shrout PE, Wu P, Lewis-Fermandez R , Shen S Canino G: Culture and Psychiatric Symptoms in Puerto Rican Children: Longitudinal Results from one Ethnic Group in Two Contexts.. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry In press
- Duarte CS, Hoven CW, Wu P, Cotel S, Mandell D, Nagasawa M, Balaban V, Wernicoff L, Markenson D: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Children with First Responders in their Families. Journal of Traumatic Stress 2006;19: 301-306
- Hoven CW, Duarte CS, Lucas CP, Wu P, Mandell DJ, Goodwin RD, Cohen M, Balaban V, Woodruff BA, Bin F, Mei L, Cantor P, Aber JL, Cohen P, Susser E: Psychopathology Among New York City Public School Children Six Months After September 11. Archives of General Psychiatry 2005;62: 545-552
- Duarte CS, Hoven CW, Bordin IAS, Berganza C, Bird H, Miranda CT : Child Mental Health in Latin America: Present and Future Epidemiologic Research. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine 2003;33: 203-222
- Duarte CS, Bordin IAS, Oliveira A, Bird H: The Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL) and autism: Pilot findings. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2003;33: 703-707