Cesar Alfonso, MD
Dr. Alfonso's clinical interests include the treatment of anxiety and depressive disorders in persons with concomitant medical illness, medical ethics, combining psychopharmacology with psychodynamic psychotherapy, and the psychoanalytic treatment of artists and creative individuals.
Past research activities span areas such as psychotherapy and medication for depression and somatic symptom disorders, the psychiatric care of immigrants, the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, psycho-oncology, AIDS psychiatry, and effective collaborations with primary care physicians.
He has been active in the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, serving as an Officer for over a decade.
Dr. Alfonso is Deputy Editor of Psychodynamic Psychiatry and was Book Review Editor And Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis. He served as President of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry from 2010-2012. Dr. Alfonso is currently on the Board of the Psychoanalysis in Psychiatry Section of the World Psychiatric Association. He frequently conducts advance psychotherapy training workshops for trainees and early career psychiatrists in Europe, the Americas and Asia. He is the 2015-2016 recipient of the Teichner Scholar Award.
- Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
- Alfonso CA : Evidence Base for the Molecular Underpinnings of Psychodynamic Psychotherapy. Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2012;40(3)
- Alfonso CA and Olarte SW (Guest Editors): Contemporary Practice of Dynamic Psychiatry, Special Issue. Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry 2011;Vol 39(1): 1-230
- Cohen MA, Alfonso CA: AIDS Psychiatry, Palliative Care and Pain Management Chapter in G. Wormser (Ed.), AIDS and Other Manifestations of HIV Infection, Fourth Edition.. 2004
- Alfonso CA and Turco R (Guest Editors): Psychoanalysis and Creativity. Special Issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry . Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry 2005;33 (1): 1-235
- Alfonso CA: Writing psychoanalytic case reports: safeguarding privacy while preserving integrity.. Journal of The American Academy of Psychoanalysis 2002;30 (2): 165-171