Cesar Alfonso, MD
César A. Alfonso is Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University, Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Indonesia, and Visiting Professor of Psychiatry at the National University of Malaysia. He serves as Chair of the Psychotherapy Section of the World Psychiatric Association (WPA), and on the Council of the International Federation for Psychotherapy and of the World Association of Dynamic Psychiatry.
Dr. Alfonso’s recent academic work includes the study of the biopsychosocial and transcultural aspects of suicide, the clinical care of persons with low vision and medical multimorbidities, and the design and implementation of psychotherapy training programs. He has designed psychotherapy courses with the support of the WPA for early career psychiatrists and trainees in countries with limited academic resources in Asia and Africa.
Dr. Alfonso is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (DFAPA). He is also a Fellow of the Academy of Consultation Liaison Psychiatry (FACLP), the New York Academy of Medicine (FNYAM) and the American Academy of Psychodynamic Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis (FAAPDPP). He served as President of the AAPDPP from 2010-2012. He is the recipient of the Teichner Award twice, with Visiting Professorships at Northwell-Staten Island (2015) and the University of Iowa (2019). Dr. Alfonso is Editor-in-Chief of the journal Psychodynamic Psychiatry.
- Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
- Alfonso CA, Tasman A, Jimenez A, Della C. (2021) Advancing Psychotherapy in Psychiatry. World Psychiatry, 20(3).
- Alfonso, C.A., Botbol, M. (2021). Transcultural Aspects and Cultural Adaptations of Psychotherapeutic Treatments in the Asia-Pacific Rim region, Asia-Pacific Psychiatry, 13, 1-3.
- Alfonso CA. (2021). An Overview of the Psychodynamics of Addiction. Psychodynamic Psychiatry, 49(3), 363-368.
- Alfonso CA, Chandra P, Schulze T (Editors) (2021) Suicide by Self-Immolation:Biopsychosocial and Transcultural Aspects. Springer Nature, Cham.
- Alfonso CA, Teo DCL, Sotsky J, Siste K, Ruzyanei NNJ, Mwita M (2021) Suicide in HIV, in Bourgeois J, Cohen MAA, Bradley M, Pereira LF, Cournos F, Makurumidze G, Cozza KL, editors, HIV Psychiatry: A Practical Guide to Clinical Care, Chams, Switzerland: Springer Nature, in press.
- Alfonso CA (2020). Overcoming Hatred and Xenophobia: Psychodynamics of Violence and Aggression. Dynamische Psychiatrie(Dynamic Psychiatry) 53 (2).
- Alfonso CA, Friedman RC, Downey JI (Editors) (2018) Advances in Psychodynamic Psychiatry. Guilford Press, New York and London. [Farsi translation in press].
- Alfonso, CAand Bullon, A (2015), The Latino Ethnic Identity, in Salman Akhtar’s The American Latino: Psychodynamic Perspectives on Culture and Mental Health Issues, Rowman and Littlefield.
- Alfonso CA and Turco R (Guest Editors) (2005) Psychoanalysis and Creativity. Special Issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry, 33 (1): 1-235.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov(link is external and opens in a new window)