Aimee Campbell, PhD
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Aimee Campbell, PhD, is a Research Scientist in the Substance Abuse Division of the New York State Psychiatric Institute (NYSPI) and an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatric Social Work in the Department of Psychiatry at the Columbia University Medical Center. She completed undergraduate training in sociology at the University of Washington and received her master's degree and doctorate from Columbia University School of Social Work.
Her research interests center on the development and testing of behavioral interventions for substance use disorders and HIV prevention and treatment, including through the use of technology-based platforms, with a specific emphasis on methods to improve access to and implementation of science-based treatments. Her work incorporates the personal, interpersonal, and social contexts in which individuals manage the overlapping challenges of addiction, trauma, mental health disorders, and HIV sexual and drug risk behaviors. Dr. Campbell has extensive experience in the development, implementation, and oversight of large community-based, clinical trials. She's been involved in treatment research for substance use disorders, primarily in community settings and in partnership with community providers and consumers, for 20 years.
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- BA, 1995 Sociology, University of Washington
- MSW, 2003 Social Work, Columbia University, School of Social Work
- PhD, 2009 Social Work, Columbia University School of Social Work
- Treatment for substance use & co-occurring disorders
- Gender-specific HIV prevention intervention
- Implementation Science Strategies
REGIONAL AIDS EDUCATION AND TRAINING CENTERS (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2019 - Jun 30 2024
FY 2018 OPIOID STATE TARGETED RESPONSE TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (STR TA) (Federal Gov)
Feb 1 2018 - Jan 31 2020
- Campbell ANC Nunes EV Matthews AG Stitzer M Miele GM Polsky D Turrigiano E Walters S McClure EA Kyle TL Wahle A VanVeldhuisen P Goldman B Babcock D Stabile PQ Winhusen T Ghitz U: Internet-delivered treatment for substance abuse: A multi-site randomized controlled clinical trial. American Journal of Psychiatry 2014;171: 683-690.
- Campbell ANC Muench F Nunes EV: Technology-based behavioral interventions for alcohol and drug use problems. In LA Marsch SE Lord J Dallery (Eds), Transforming Behavioral Health Care with Technology: The State of the Science (pp. 40-57). Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 2015.
- Campbell ANC Nunes EV Pavlicova M Hatch-Maillette M Hu M Bailey GL Sugarman DE Miele GM Rieckmann T Shores-Wilson K Turrigiano E Greenfield SF: Gender-based outcomes and acceptability of a web-delivered psychosocial intervention for substance use disorders. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2015;53: 9-15.
- Campbell ANC Tross S Calsyn DA: Substance use disorders and HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment intervention: Research and practice considerations. Social Work in Public Health 2013;28: 333-348
- Tross S Campbell A Cohen LR Calsyn D Pavlicova M Miele G et al: Effectiveness of HIV/STD Sexual risk reduction groups for women in substance abuse treatment programs: Results of a NIDA Clinical Trials Network trial. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2008;48: 581-589