Victoria Arango, PhD
Victoria Arango, PhD is a Professor of Clinical Neurobiology (in Psychiatry) in the Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University. She is the Director of the Diane Goldberg Laboratory for the Molecular Imaging of Neural Disorders (MIND) and the Laboratory of Chemical Neuroanatomy. She is also the Associate Director of the Division of Molecular Imaging and Neuropathology at the New York State Psychiatric Institute.
Dr. Arango pioneered anatomical studies in the brain of suicide victims, including biochemical, molecular and morphometric studies and her work was instrumental in bringing the utmost in scientific rigor to studies in postmortem human brain. These efforts have lead to important new findings and long-standing collaborations with leaders of the field. Her work has focused on identifying brain biological abnormalities in mood disorders, suicide and alcoholism.
Dr. Arango has served on many NIH study sections, and served as Chair of one for three years. She serves on the Scientific Advisory Board and the Grants Review Committee for the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention and is a member of many scientific organizations, including the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Society of Biological Psychiatry, Society for Neuroscience, International Academy of Suicide Research and American Society of Hispanic Psychiatry. Dr. Arango has continuously received NIH funding to study suicide for over 20 years. She has published extensively in respected national and international journals and is considered an international expert in the field of the biology of suicide.
- Professor of Clinical Neurobiology (in Psychiatry) at CUMC
- Senior Research Scientist in the Department of Psychiatry
- Human Postmortem Approaches
- Mood Disorders and Suicide
- Arango V, Ernsberger P, Reis DJ, Mann JJ: Demonstration of high and low affinity β adrenergic receptors in slide mounted sections of rat and human brain. Res, 1990 1990;516: 113-121
- Arango V, Ernsberger P, Marzuk PM, Chen J S, Tierney H, Stanley M, Reis DJ, Mann JJ: Autoradiographic demonstration of increased serotonin 5 HT2 and β adrenergic receptor binding sites in the brain of suicide victims. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1990;47: 1038-1047
- Arango V, Underwood MD, Boldrini M, Tamir H, Hsiung S, Chen J, Mann JJ: Serotonin 1A receptors, serotonin transporter binding and mRNA expression in the brainstem of depressed suicide victims. Neuropsychopharmacology 2001;25: 892-903
- Gurevich I, Tamir H, Arango V, Mann JJ, Dwork AJ, Schmauss C: Altered editing of serotonin 2C receptor pre-mRNA in the prefrontal cortex of depressed suicide victims. Neuron 2002;34: 349-356
- Bach-Mizrachi H, Underwood MD, Kassir SA, Sibille E, Tamir H, Mann JJ, Arango V: Neuronal tryptophan hydroxylase mRNA expression in the human dorsal and median raphe nucleus: Major depression and suicide. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005; Epub 9/28/05.