Herbert D. Kleber, MD
- Professor of Psychiatry
Dr. Kleber has been a pioneer in research and treatment of substance abuse for over 35 years. From 1968 to 1989, he founded and headed the Drug Dependence Unit at Yale University. He then served for 2 Â½ years as the Deputy Director for Demand Reduction at the Office of National Drug Control Policy in the White House.
In 1992, Dr. Kleber founded at Columbia University the Division on Substance Abuse, now one of the leading centers in the country. He heads a number of projects on new methods to treat individuals with cocaine, heroin, prescription opioids, alcohol, or marijuana problems.
Dr. Kleber is the author of more than 250 papers, and the co-Editor of the American Psychiatric Press Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment. He has received numerous prestigious awards, two honorary degrees, is listed as one of the "Best Doctors in America "and "Best Doctors in New York", and was elected in 1996 to be a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science.
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Thomas Jefferson University Medical College
- Internship: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Residency: Yale-New Haven Hospital
Development of new addiction treatments especially for opioid, cocaine,or marijuana abuse / dependence Dr. Kleber heads an NIH-funded Medication Development Center, continuously funded since 1994. It includes clinical studies involving individuals with cocaine, marijuana or opiate problems
- Addiction Psychiatry
IMPROVING DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT BY RESEARCH AND TRAINING (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2001 - Jun 30 2011
- Kleber, HD: Methadone Maintenance 4 Decades Later: Thousands of Lives Saved But Still Controversial., , 2008
- Nordstrom RB & Kleber HD: Clinical and Societal Implications of Drug Legalization. Substance Abuse: Comprehensive Textbook. 2010;1032-1043
- Kleber HD & Dupont RL: Physicians and Medical Marijuana, , 2012
- Galanter M & Kleber HD: Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse. M. Galanter & H.D. Kleber (Eds.). 2011
- Galanter, M., Kleber, HD: Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 4th Edition, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. , Washington, DC, 2008