Barbara H. Stanley, PhD
Treatment of individuals with suicidal behavior, self-injury, borderline personality disorder (BPD), emotion regulation difficulties; Consultation with family members who have adolescent or adult children with psychiatric problems; Dialectical Behavior Therapy.
Suicide, suicidal behavior, non-suicidal self injury, BPD, depression, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Behavior Therapy, brief interventions to prevent suicide, biobehavioral research on suicidal behavior and BPD. Mentored research on fMRI studies examining the interpersonal dysfunction dimension of BPD, genetics studies of BPD and treatment engagement trials with suicidal individuals.
Suicide risk assessment and prevention
- Professor of Medical Psychology (in Psychiatry) at CUMC
- Borderline personality disorder
- Psychotherapy interventions
- Suicide and Self injury
- Stanley B, Brown G, Brent DA, Wells K, Poling K, Kennard B, Wagner A, Curry J, Cwik M, Goldstein T, Vitiello B, Klomek Brunstein A, Barnett S, Daniel S: Cognitive-behavioral therapy for suicide prevention (CBT-SP): treatment model, feasibility, and acceptability. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 2009;48: 1005-1013
- Stanley B, Sher L, Wilson S, Ekman R, Huang YY, Mann JJ: Non-suicidal self-injurious behavior, endogenous opioids and monoamine neurotransmitters. Journal of Affective Disorders 2010;124: 134-140
- Stanley B, Siever L: The Interpersonal Dimension of Borderline Personality Disorder: Towards A Neuropeptide Model. American Journal of Psychiatry 2010;167: 24-39
- Stanley B, Brown GK: Safety Planning Intervention: A Brief Intervention to Mitigate Suicide Risk. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice 2012;19: 256-264
- Brodsky BS, Stanley B: The dialectical behavior therapy primer: How DBT can inform clinical practice, John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 2013