Mindy T. Fullilove, MD
- Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Clinical Social Medical Sciences
Mindy Thompson Fullilove, MD, is a research psychiatrist at New York State Psychiatric Institute and a professor of clinical psychiatry and public health at Columbia University. She was educated at Bryn Mawr College (AB, 1971) and Columbia University (MS, 1971; MD 1978).
She is a board certified psychiatrist, having received her training at New York Hospital-Westchester Division (1978-1981) and Montefiore Hospital (1981-1982). She has conducted research on AIDS and other epidemics of poor communities, with a special interest in the relationship between the collapse of communities and decline in health.
From her research, she has published Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurts America and What We Can Do About It, and The House of Joshua: Meditations on Family and Place. She is co-author of Ernest Thompson's Homeboy Came to Orange: A Story of People's Power (1976) and Rodrick Wallace's Collective Consciousness and Its Discontents (2008).
She has received many awards, including inclusion in many “Best Doctors” and two honorary doctorates (Chatham College, 1999, and Bank Street College of Education, 2002). Her most recent book is Urban Alchemy: Restoring Joy in America's Sorted-Out Cities (2013).
Dr. Fullilove's research has focused on the health problems caused by inequity. To learn about her current work studying main streets, you can visit her blog, mainstreetnj.blogspot.com. She is leading a study of Main Streets in New Jersey. There are 556 municipalities in the state. Many have a functioning Main Street. What are these streets like? What is their function in today's city? This project is examining these questions and others. For more information, visit mainstreetnj.blogspot.com.
MN11-1101, NATIONAL MINORITY UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT PROGRAMS (Federal Gov)
Sep 15 2011 - Sep 14 2017
DEVELOPING AN EFFECTIVE COMMUNITY ETHICAL REVIEW MODEL (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2002 - Dec 31 2004
- Fullilove, MT: Urban Alchemy: Restoring Joy in America's Sorted-Out Cities, New Village Press, New York, NY, United States, 2013
- Fullilove MT: Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurt America and What We Can Do About It, Ballantine Books, NY, NM, USA, 2004
- Fullilove MT: House of Joshua: Meditations on Family and Place, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, USA, 1999
- Wallace R, Fullilove MT : Collective Consciousness and Its Discontents: Institutional Distributed Cognition, Racial Policy and Public Health in the United States , Springer Publications, NY, NY, 2008
- Fullilove MT: Psychiatric implications of displacement: contributions from the psychology of place. American Journal of Psychiatry 1996;153: 1516-1523