For Faculty and Staff
Our Media Policy
The Department of Psychiatry encourages faculty to interact with the media to raise awareness of our programs and research. The Communications Office is pleased to help publicize news of faculty, staff, and student scholarly work, community service, honors, awards, or other newsworthy activities. For faculty and staff at NYSPI, please review the media policy guidelines below when interacting with the media.
- CUMC faculty are encouraged to contact the NYSPI Communications Office or the CUMC Communications Office for expert assistance and guidance when contacted by the media; please see the full CUMC Media Relations Policy here.
- The NYSPI Media Policy guidelines below govern the interactions between New York State Psychiatric Institute employees and the media.
Speaking to the Media
When you receive a call or an email from a reporter with a request for comment, please ask them to send the request through the NYSPI Media Relations Office, and refer them to Gregory Flynn at (646) 774-5324 or email@example.com.
- You may ask for more detail about the story, but do not agree to do an interview.
- The Communications Office will collect additional information, vet the reporter and outlet, obtain approvals as necessary from OMH, and discuss with you whether you would like to talk to the reporter. The Communications Office will decline the interview or arrange for it to take place at your convenience.
- If you would like to initiate an outreach to media, contact the Communications Office first to coordinate the approach.
- Let the Communications Office know if you would like to receive any media training before an interview.
When you have a research paper accepted for publication, send the Communications Office a copy of the paper and any correspondence you have had with the journal about publication and embargo dates. Include a brief description of what makes this paper interesting to a lay audience and the media, and the Media Relations Office will discuss with you whether or not to issue a press release.
Reporters, Television Crews or Photographers
Reporters, television crews or photographers are not allowed in any of our buildings unless a member of the Communications Office meets them at the safety desk and accompanies them to the shoot.
- Any unauthorized reporter or film crew who attempts to enter the buildings will be detained at the Safety Desk and advised to contact the Communications Office for clearance.
- Documentaries require 3-4 weeks notice to complete the necessary approvals, location agreements, and certificates of insurance. Refer all requests for any filming at NYSPI to the Communications Office.
Patients may be interviewed and/or photographed only if they give written, informed consent. A consent form conforming to OMH policy is available from the Communications Office.
Social Media Accounts
All work-related social media accounts, including, but not limited to Facebook and Twitter, must be set up and approved by the Communications Office.
Send any news items and items of interest–grants, honors, new books, new labs/clinics–to the Communications Office.
If you have any questions or have been contacted by a member of the media, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call:
Director of Communications